Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

Week 4- Was it really a 4 day week?

It was a short week this week because we were out for Labor Day. However, it didn't seem like a short week at all!

At the beginning of the week Mr. S. brought kelp for everyone to try. It came in flat sheets and everyone who wanted to try it had the chance. As you can see I don't think there was anyone that liked it. I must admit I didn't try it, it just didn't look like something I wanted to eat.

We also continued our study of kinetic and potential energy with our popper experiment and the "slow" helicopter race.

 
Ask your child to explain how the popper showed kinetic and potential energy.


This week we also talked about 9/11/01. Many of the students were very young when this happened and they don't remember it. I shared my story about where I was when it happened. I was doing my student teaching in a 2nd grade classroom. The link to the video we watched is in the previous post here if you want to watch it. Students have heard many different stories and this video did a great job of explaining the facts and answering students' questions.

Friday our entire school participated in a small ceremony to remember those who lost their lives on that day. We tied ribbons on the fence and released balloons to honor and remember.

Friday was also Grandparent's Day at MES. We had some parents and grandparents come to have lunch with students.


We also learned about RAKs (Random Acts of Kindness). Many people did RAKs on September 11, 2001. People were willing to helps others even in their time of need. Many firemen and police officers lost their lives because they were helping others when the buildings collapsed.

We also talked about how our community did the same thing in April when the tornados came through our area. There were many strangers who went out and helped those who had lost everything. A RAK can be something small or something big. It can be as simple as helping a classmate that dropped his/her books.

Students: What RAK have you done this week? Make sure to practice your RAKs this weekend because RAK Randy will be coming to visit our classroom next week.

7 comments:

  1. I helped my neighbor (Caroline) with her homework. It was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I helped my friend with soccer moves before her game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I helped a kid up when he fell and hurt his arm at my softball game.But he went to the director of the softball tournment and it was sparined.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was in the hospital, I talked to some other kids and tried to cheer them up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. when lukes friend moved to california i tried to cheer him up

    ReplyDelete
  6. I helped my mom carry things into a building where she does ''Kids Kloset''sale.Also I helped a little boy by giving a ball back to him.One more thing I did was help my brother with his homework.


    Megan(M)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I picked up some papers that fell on the floor for my mom.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Students, make sure to answer the question of the week to earn your ticket for the good job jar. If you have trouble posting your comment just e-mail it to me and I'll post it for you.